Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Most Awesome Workshops

There is a woman on our Etsy Street Team named Lisa Bartlett who holds workshops at Orr Street Studios here in Columbia. She is a mixed media artist who does amazing art and is very generous in helping others promote their art.

In September, I took my first workshop with Lisa. It was mixed media 3-D collage class and it was the most fun I'd had in a very long time. When I walked in the door of Orr Street Studios there were tables and tables of hardware, magazines, papers, posters, photos, etc. Our "job" that day was to spend the next 6 hours, choosing whatever goodies we could find on those tables and turn them into works of art. I felt like I was at the ultimate yard sale (I love yard sales!). I could have anything I wanted because it was included in the price of the workshop!

I met some nice people and spent a relaxing day being creative. I ended up making one small piece and starting one large piece. Below is a photo of the small piece (the one I spent most of my time on).
Even though it's a very simple piece, I like it because it's the first thing I ever made in this 3-D medium. It also combines my love of "treasures" with art.

I took another workshop from Lisa last weekend. It was held at the same place and the same rules applied-have fun, relax and be creative (if only those were the rules for most other areas of my life)! I was able to make 3 pieces this time: two small and one large. I am still putting some finishing touches on the big piece and plan to try to sell it at an art show tmer. It is collage on a birch wood panel. I used a photo from a magazine and some beautiful Japanese papers. The butterfly came from an old "how to draw butterflies"-type book. I like the way this turned out and am excited to finish it. I already know what I'm going to do and have most of the components made, I just have to put it all together. I'll post another photo when I'm finished.

The second thing I made measures 5"x5" (approximately). I love bending wire and making all kinds of different shapes with it. I have a little box in my bead box, filled with wire creations I've made. A couple of years ago, I discovered how cool shapes look when they are done in thicker wire and hammered flat. The three shapes in this piece were made a year or more ago and I'm thrilled I was able to finally use them.

I glued beads on that I received for Christmas, the background is painted blue with some green tissue paper mod podged on. I think it's cute and it was easy and fun.

By the way, using tissue paper and mod podge together is wonderful! You can make the neatest things out of those two materials together. I've cut out shapes to form a collage picture, then after it's dry, outlined the image in black ink. I've also done just a background in tissue paper and glued decorative paper on top. If you haven't tried it, you should. I plan on incorporating more of it in my own work.

My final piece is a 7" x 7" pine wood plaque (like you can buy at any craft store and probably even Walmart). I glued torn scraps of Japanese paper to the background, painted the edges black, glued an earring (the face) onto a small piece of wood painted black and a domino on it.

I added the gold lines later with a paint pen because the black space needed something else. I like this piece but feel like it may not be that original. I will probably be selling this one as well.

Thanks for taking a look at my things. I love doing assembledge art. In fact, this may be what I was made to do. I really love collecting little trinkets, scraps of wood, paper and fabric. Now I can glue all that stuff onto boards or cigar boxes or whatever and I'll be making art. Woo hoo! It doesn't get much better than this! Of course, my husband may not be too happy with me justifying storing more "potential" craft projects in our house. Poor guy, he only thought he knew what he was getting into when he married me! :)

6 comments:

ley said...

very creative,,, exellent job!!

glassidentities said...

so much fun.. and you sound so happy and relaxed and excited talking about it.. I hope we get to see a lot more :)

Natasha said...

Wow...this is great work...I'm inspired...and I'd love to invite you to join Thursday Sweet Treat...check out the work submitted ..it's amazing and the group of people is stellar...I think you'd like it...you might make new pieces every week! Oh what would your husband say then?? Hahahaha...great blog and shop...I wish you all the best!

Joy White said...

FUN-FUN-FUN! I did the same thing once in a glass class. It was a lot of deconstruction and then construction. It really is a great way to be creative. Your blog is great and I love your banner, I will be following you.

Tranquility said...

You really enjoy your stuff.. such a pleasant feeling.

J. Leigh Designz said...

Sounds like so much fun! Great pieces that you showed us!