Friday, March 27, 2009

The Craft Cave


I haven't written in a while and thought I'd better post something quick - before I get back to my evil ways of only posting once every 6 months or so. That wouldn't be good, would it?

Tonight, I want to write about my beloved Craft Cave. It is a dark, windowless room that originally was intended for storage. We do have some family items stored there: out of season clothes, suitcases, holiday decorations and boxes of momentos that no one has the emotional fortitude to get rid of. And in the midst of it all is a wall of boxes which hold my "valuable collections" of craft supplies, found objects and things I may need some day. I've also set up two desks, a book case and a cabinet that hold some more valuables.

When I was a kid living with my mom, I had the biggest room in the house. It was a large attic room and it was my haven. I spent many, many hours in that room listening to music (Bee Gees at age 13 and Heart in my late teens) and drawing, reading or daydreaming. I loved that room.

After leaving my mom's house (and my bedroom), I pretty much lived by myself until I got marriedin 2000. I haven't had an opportunity since then to have my own space. Whenever I claimed a space for myself, something would happen like, we'd rent the upstairs to someone and my craft area became the kitchen for the renter. When we had our son, our renter moved out, but I couldn't totally take the craftroom-turned-kitchen-turned-weird-empty-room-with-a-sink over for myself. I had to share it with my husband, our computer and our never ending pile of accumulated papers. Besides, I didn't have much time to craft...I was trying to adjust to life with a baby.

Then baby #2 came along and she needed her own space. The office/craft space/accumulated paper storage became my daughter's bedroom. By that time, I was starting to want to spend more time being creative, which involved having more supplies and needing more space to work. My projects and supplies were spilling over into the dinning room, the office area, the living room, the basement and sometimes our bedroom. Lucky for me, my husband really hates clutter and he began to see the light ("see the light" = "Laura needs her own space"). When it came time to look for a new house, one of the priorities was that we would make sure there was room for my crafting.

In August 2008, we found this house, with a family room, a guest room and a storage room that I could use as my craft area. We recruited some of our friends to help us move. The embarassing thing was that since I had stored a lot of stuff for so many years and was good at making it all fit into tiny spaces, I had no idea how much I really had. I would say more than 50% of the boxes that were moved to the new place were marked "craft room". Oops!


Anyway, now I have this space, with all my stuff out of boxes, surrounding me, inspiring me and just plain making me happy. I love it in there. Sometimes I have to share it with my kids - which I'm not very good at (the sharing part), but I'm learning. They are 3 and 6 and have a tendency not to understand the importance of peace and quiet in my creative space. Sometimes I forget too and I yell: "quit being mean to your sister! Stop writing on your brother's picture!" I finally made up craft cave rules: Rule #1 no yelling, screaming, spitting, complaining, whining or potty talk. Rule #2 If you can't follow rule number 1, then you have to leave.

My space is not very neat and tidy, but it's getting there. I purposely left out any photos of our storage stuff because, it's really not that interesting! I love seeing photos of where people do their creative work. I've been wanting to share photos of my work space for a long time. Thanks for taking a look!

9 comments:

RhiannonSTR said...

It's so nice to have a space all your own. I recently got my space all to myself and I am very happy.

Soap Scent-sations said...

Just kick the kids out! ;) Great space Laura, very artsy and cluttered, just like my "space"! Ha!

Rachel said...

Great site! You have some wonderful info on here I will certainly use. Love the craft cave.

I’m always looking for ideas and info to add to my blog.

If you get a chance, stop by my blog.
http://chachingqueen.blogspot.com/
Cha Ching Queen
Helping you... Save: Money and time ~ Make: Extra cash ~ Learn: Random stuff
And follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/chachingqueen

glassidentities said...

I love seeing photos of peoples spaces... thank you for sharing.. yours looks like a lot of fun... right now mine is a little bit here and a little bit there.. and move it from the table to eat and then from the couch to watch tv.. but in a year or two the kids will all be moved out and then I get my own whole room! well thats the plan *crosses fingers*

Akane Designs said...

This space looks like a great place to be creative. Isn't it nice when you finally get to use all your stored supplies?

www.akanedesigns.blogspot.com

Eileen said...

wow laura...you just made me think back to when i had my room in my parent's house...i miss my own space...that was a long long time ago...
i'm declaring my studio as my own space and will attempt to make it more "my own"...
thanks for the inspiration...
i'm following you now...

Rowena said...

Cave or no, it's a great space you have. I'm collecting inspiration for my own art space, but I have to make sure it's a place that I'll actually use, instead of painting infront of the television.

Although, what's wrong with painting in front of the television?

lisianblue said...

Yeah for your own room! Since I'm now on my own again and I don't have to keep it safe anymore - it's all in the living room - where I literally live!
If it wasn't cluttered - at least a little - I probably would think you never made anything! Sometimes items migrate to my large table, and onto the floor and I have to take time to put it all back once in a while, but even then it still looks a little cluttered - but it's very organized clutter!
little creation stations for kids - frequently worked with my two when they were little.
Happy creating in your own room!

Joy White said...

I think everyone needs a room of their own. Your post brought back fond memories of my childhood and my special creative space.