Sunday, August 16, 2009

5 States, 7 Days and Home Again

My family and I took a lovely vacation to Grantsburg, Wisconsin last week and returned yesterday afternoon. We drove from Columbia, Missouri, to Prairie Village, Kansas to drop off our sick car so my awesome mechanic brother could work on it. Then the four of us hopped in the mini van and headed North.

The first night we stayed in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The next morning we explored the Mall of America for a couple of hours (man! that place is huge!) then headed to Grantsburg, Wisconsin. There we spent 5 nights and 5 days at the Luther Point Bible Camp for family week. It was a lot of fun and we met many, many wonderful people. Minnesota and Wisconsin are such beautiful states in the summer (not sure I could handle the winters there). I loved the landscape of trees, hills, beautiful big barns and acre upon acre of corn and soybeans.

On Friday, we said goodbye to our camp friends and drove the mini van to Des Moines, Iowa. I love Iowa too. On this trip we saw a couple of wind farms, which I had never experienced before. Those "windmills" are awesome and HUGE. We had to stop for a minute to take photos of them. I know that probably sounds silly to some of you, but I'd never seen them up close and personal before. I thought they were amazing.

6-ish hours later, we walked through the doorway of our home sweet home and to our wonderful, fuzzy black cat, Davis. It really was a good trip.

Now, I'm trying to get my mind organized so that I can start some projects that will (hopefully) eventually make me some money. Our budget requires that I leave my "life of luxury" and get a part time job. I'm still hoping to find something a little unconventional and creative that I can do from home. A girl has got to have dreams...

One thing I'm looking into is leading a couple of workshops at a cool new store that opened up in town (have I mentioned Artlandish Gallery before)? I'm doing internet research on where to find the best prices for art supplies. If you have any suggestions for me, please feel free to leave me a comment.

I just wanted to check in. I'm working on a linoleum block print and I'm almost finished. I'll be sure to post a photo of the finished product!

No comments: