Saturday, October 31, 2009

Adding to My Etsy Shop

One of my weaknesses is that I allow myself to be overwhelmed by tasks that I haven't even attempted yet. I think of something I want to do and instead of believing I can do it and use my energy to get the job done, I waste time telling myself the many reasons why I can't do it. Almost always, I end up either not doing anything at all or procrastinating until it's too late to do anything.

My business suffers because of my procrastination. I pretty much ignored the fact that I have an Etsy shop for most of the Spring and Summer. I would log in, look at my stuff, roll my eyes, then log out. All the while telling myself how I really needed to get in there and dust the cobwebs off so I could add a few things and make my shop presentable. I really want to have a cool shop. One that is successful. Really, I do. But I get caught up in believing it's an impossible task and I just end up feeling bad.

A couple of weeks ago, I changed my avatar, my banner and worked on some of my photos. I changed my banner for this blog too (which still needs work) and today I actually added 7 new items. That's SEVEN! Not only did I add that many new items, I now have 25 items total which added a second page to my shop! It may not seem like much, but to me, it's huge. The other part is that the 7 (yes, that's SEVEN) things I added are not paper crafts. They are totally different than anything I've ever listed before. These are my babysteps.

I think it helps to look to others when I am feeling defeated or overwhelmed and I don't know what to do. One person (a fellow Etsian) who is an inspiration to me is Jessica Doyle. She is a wonderful artist who works her butt off and is very successful. I follow her blog and follow her on Facebook. I like reading her daily entries because she seems very organized and she's really good about sharing information. When I see her successes as a result of her determination and hard work, it makes me want to get my own rear in gear. I'm thankful for Jessica and people like her, who share their struggles, insight and processes. It helps me learn how to be more focused and more hopeful about seeing my dreams come true.

Do you have a blog you like to turn to for inspiration?

5 comments:

elsiee said...

http://noodleandlou.blogspot.com/ I find this blog super inspiring! Congrats on all you hard work in your etsy shop - it's sure to pay off soon!

Laura Pugh said...

Thank you for your encouragement, Elsiee! I will check out the blog you suggested.

M.M.E. said...

Congratulations! I always dread all the work and time it takes to improve a shop, but in the end, it's worth it! I'm crossing my fingers for you.

Jessica Doyle said...

You know… I get those days when nothing seems to be going right… that's when I go for a walk or watch a good movie or even use a new medium just to get my mind out of the gutter so to speak.

I feel honored that you mentioned my shop. I'm honestly blushing.

You may like this post on my blog aptly entitled "The Truth Behind the Struggle"

http://jessicadoyle.com/2008/03/06/artists-tip-15-the-truth-behind-the-struggle/

Congrats on getting your shop stocked! Keep going! It looks great!

Cheers!
Jessica

Beth said...

Your shop looks great! I love the sketchbook swirl card...it's my favorite. :)