Thursday, December 31, 2009

Hope of Things to Come

When I was younger, I would spend time every New Year's Eve, reflecting and writing about the year that was ending and my hopes for the year ahead. This tells you two very important things about me: #1 I didn't have many New Year's Eve dates and #2 I have periods of time where I am very hopeful.

Now that I am 46 (and a half), married (so I have a permanent New Year's Eve date) and have two young kids, I don't have much time to reflect on much of anything. I also have lost much of my short term memory, so I can't remember what I had for lunch let alone what I did in January or the rest of the year. But tonight my most wonderful husband, took the kids out for some family fun and (after some whining and complaining on my part) didn't "make me" go with them. So for one glorious and peaceful hour, I wrote down some of my hopes and goals for 2010. I would like to share some of them with you:

  • Introduce some new products to my Etsy shop. I've been wanting to add some different things for a long time (bookmarks, handmade journals, more tags, calendars, etc) but haven't taken the time to do it. I want to work on it this year.
  • Open another online shop. I have an Artfire account that I haven't put anything in for about a year. Maybe I should give that a try.
  • Make my blog more interesting and look more the way I want it to look.
  • Average 3 blog posts a week. Maybe add some demonstrations or tutorials.
  • Set some sales goals for my Etsy shop and work my hiney off to reach them.
  • Make more money than I spend (or at least break even).
  • Be bold in my belief in God and pursue my relationship with Jesus Christ.
  • Quit procrastinating
  • Love myself more in action and thought (stop telling myself that I'm destined to fail)
  • Be healthy (quit eating so much sugar and start exercising)
  • Clean house regularly
  • Love my family
I know this is a big and challenging list, but these are my hopes. It would be great to be here next New Year's Eve reporting that I made even a little progress in most areas.

Thanks for following my blog and for your encouragement. It has meant so much to me to have people cheer me on as I pursue one of the things I love most.

Have a safe and wonderful New Year!

4 comments:

A Mom With A View said...

Wow great list...very productive..Ive benn enjoying looking at art lately rather than making it..??dont know why..I need a break I guess...I have a lot of stuff around also that I should list in shop..oh well time for that later..How are you...??I guess your not going out tonight..me either..My hubs just left to plow snow..yes it snowing again after the 14 inches from last week..!anyway .. Happy New Year..!!

Joy White said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR! I am looking forward to another year of following your blog and enjoying your art. all the best to you in 2010.

Laura Pugh said...

Happy New Year Robin and Joy! Thanks so much for leaving comments on the blog.

Robin - I think when a person gets burned out on making art, looking at it helps get the juices flowing again. I have a few new things to list too, but haven't done it yet. I guess I need to work on that.

Are you digging out from under your snow yet? We just got a couple of inches here and it has been really cold.

Natasha said...

As I step back into the blogging world I'm so thrilled to be reconnecting with some of my favorite artists like YOU! Happy New Year to you...this list is impressive. I love how you really looked across the board at all areas of your life and thought about the things you want improve upon or areas you simply want to grow. I know you can make progress on all of these things because you care about them - your family and your art. I look forward to talking about the progress and what you learn along the way. I have no doubt that by the end of this year you will have inspired others as well as yourself. Good luck and I look forward to playing, experimenting and growing with you this year ;)