Wednesday, January 20, 2010

We All Could Use A Good Challenge

It's easy to get stuck in a rut and keep doing the same old thing. That might be why I was feeling so frustrated and uninspired last weekend (I'm feeling much better now, by the way). Sometimes it's important to challenge yourself so that you can improve on whatever it is you like to do (writing, painting, cooking, etc).

In my mind, I keep telling myself that I need to go to school and take art classes but I can't afford to go to school right now. I probably wouldn't make a very good student anyway because I have too many other priorities. Technology, being as amazing as it is, offers some great alternatives. I'm taking a 3 week book binding workshop online called: Make Your Own Journal: for beginners. It's being taught by a woman named Leslie Herger of Comfortable Shoes Studio. [As an aside, you can still check out the workshop if you are interested. She's taking participants until January 22. Get more information here: http://artjournaling.ning.com/.]

I have seen a couple of Leslie's videos on Youtube and enjoy them. They are clear, provide a lot of useful information and she is not hung up on everything being pretty and perfect. I think when you aren't worried about perfection you can really crank out some nice art. Anyway, I like having the challenge of trying new things and seeing the techniques Leslie has to offer.

The only problem with the whole art-journal-making-thing is that now I have a new crafting obsession. Which as you know, I don't need. But hey, what the heck!

Here's a photo of my first hand made art journal cover. Collaged with some papers I've been hoarding:





I can hardly wait until we get this week's assignment. I think we're going to get to assemble our journals. I'll let you know how it goes. Until then, go create something! :)

2 comments:

glassidentities said...

Great looking journal :) I love online stuff..I learned how to crochet socks and mittens that way... so much fun... videos work great for me too because i can stop and rewind a million times if I need to. *smile* I can not wait to see what you do next :)

Comfortable Shoes Studio said...

thanks! I hope you enjoy making the books, I'm certainly addicted!