Thursday, February 11, 2010

Second Hand Stiched Journal

I've fallen behind in my beginning journal workshop and technically it's over. I think I have a couple more weeks to access the videos and I have about 2 more stitches to try. I'm not sure what it is about making my own journals - there is such a feeling of accomplishment. It might be because it seems like something that would be too difficult to attempt, yet here I am. Attempting and creating books I like.


I did this journal similarly to the first. I painted and collaged a 14" x 17" piece of bristol paper and used a yellow piece of cotton fabric to reinforce the spine. This stitch is the machine stitch (though it's sewn by hand). I used 2 colors of embroidery floss: blue and orange. I also drew some doodles on the spine with some waterproof pens. I love the feel of writing on paper and fabric that has been coated with mod podge. This time I used drawing paper for the inside of the book, instead of cardstock (like I used on the last one).

I can picture making several of these and bundling them together to make a gift set. Wouldn't that be cool? The problem with this kind of thing is that often, even though people love them, they are afraid to use them. I know I'm that way. I can't tell you how many books, craft supplies and found objects I have sitting around that I won't use yet. I mean, what if I use them, then find that I need them for that really special project?

4 comments:

Robin said...

I would love it for a gift

Robin said...

..oh shoot...i wasnt finished typing..OK I was not insinuating I get it as a gift..LOL, but would love a bundle if they were gifted to me..you know what I mean..right..LOL..!in other words..they are gorgeous..!

Laura Pugh said...

Wow Robin! I'm glad you cleared that up. Because after reading your first comment, I was ready to slap them in a box and mail them right out to you! :)

Caroline Martin said...

These books are absolutely beautiful. i can see how you wouldn't want to use them, as they are too pretty to draw in.