Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Untitled Post

As I'm sitting here trying to think of a clever title for this post, I realize I'm just wasting time and energy that I could be using to actually write. Nothing came to mind, therefore it remains untitled.

Things are weird at our house these days. My mother-in-law passed away 2 weeks ago. It was not unexpected, but still very sad. In the past two weeks, my husband was two hours away from our family, caring for his mom. After she died, the kids and I went to my MIL's house and began helping go through 45 years worth of precious belongings and other things that meant something to her.

It was great to spend time with family members we haven't seen in awhile. It was also nice to hear the loving words people shared about such a wonderful woman at the memorial service.

We still have quite a bit of work to do to get her house (my husband's childhood home) ready to sell. I think it's somewhat healing to have to work at something when a loved one dies. The acts of sorting, disposing of, moving and cleaning, while thinking of the person who is gone, is part of letting go. The problem is, it is also a way to avoid mourning the loss. I don't think the real mourning will come until after all the "business" is taken care of. I just hope I will be sensitive to my husband's grief when the time comes.

Anyway, I haven't taken much time to think about my art projects or blog or Etsy shop. I'm hoping to be able to dedicate time to making some things in the near future.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Oh Laura..Im am so sorry for your loss and for your husband and family as well..I don't know what is worse..a sudden unexpected death or one that is foreseen...either way it is a difficult time..but you mad e beautiful point about going through her belongings..I guess that is very true..I have not experienced that yet..Prayers and Love to you and your family..!

Laura Pugh said...

Thank you, Robin. We're doing pretty well, but my husband has so much to do - it's really overwhelming. It just takes awhile.

Thanks for checking in!

Anonymous said...

Laura we'll be praying for your comfort! I'd be happy to watch your kiddos if you need time to take care of anything.
Love and hugs,
Kerri