Saturday, May 29, 2010

Time to Make a Plan

I think maybe I need to start over.

From the beginning.

From scratch.

I'm sure I've mentioned before that I never thought I'd be able to do and sell art. It was something I thought about but always dismissed as being unrealistic. So, when I actually did sell cards and paintings that I had done myself, it was really, really fun. It's still fun to sell things. The problem is that I don't sell much and I want to sell more. But how can I possibly sell more when I wander around aimlessly and have small bursts of productivity, then longer periods of inactivity? It just isn't going to happen unless I am more consistent.

So I'm starting to think about starting my "business" over. I never did get my business license or keep accurate track of inventory, what I make, what I spend or how many hours I work. The logistics aren't really my strength, but that doesn't mean I can't learn does it? I think I can learn.

I'm planning to research small business related websites and blogs, and use that information to come up with my business plan. Maybe I should even use this blog to hold myself accountable for setting some goals. You followers of my blog are a pretty good bunch of people. You don't give me a hard time when I repeat myself (which I'm sure I do a lot. My short term memory is lacking...), you don't harass me about typos, grammatical errors or anything else. I imagine it would probably be safe enough to slap up a few goals on this page and let you read them. We could celebrate together when I reach a goal and you can tell me I'm a whiner when I make excuses for not reaching other goals. Or you could remain silent, which might guilt me into action (I'm someone who is definitely motivated by guilt).

I'm going to leave my Etsy shop open, just in case someone stumbles upon it and likes what they see. In the mean time, I will (here's the goal list)

  • work on better photos of products already listed
  • list at least 5 tag sets that I already have put together
  • finish two birdhouses that need to be painted and list them on etsy
  • work on having more consistent shipping prices for items already listed.
I know it's a short list, but it will help improve the shop I have and maybe help me be more motivated. I have to start with a short list too, so I won't look at it, become exhausted by the mere thought of taking any action, and wind up taking a nap instead!

Thanks for stopping by. I'll let you know how things go.

2 comments:

Nan said...

Hello, I found you from Blogfrog.Thank you for sharing nice blog.Please visit My Community.

please come on in,join in discussions, start one of your own, make new friends share your experience.


http://theblogfrog.com/1233755
http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

Have a great day.
Nan

Farmgirl Paints said...

I have the same issues believe it or not. I would love to sell more, but I think that means doing more. Need to set goals.

Oh and about the cravings. They lasted 3 days at least. But during certain times of the month they still hit really hard. So I think it's more or less a constant battle. Sugar is definitely the enemy though! Good luck:)