Friday, August 13, 2010

Velma's Feathers

The other day, I mentioned in a post that I cried after I cut our hen's feathers. I did it so that she would stay out of our neighbor's yard. Until that time, I found myself obsessively checking on her to make sure she was where she was supposed to be. Which is in our yard, which is plenty big for her and her four babies. Apparently, she has already forgotten where she came from (a barn with many, many, many other chickens. In fact, when we got her, she was in a very small cage with her four babies).

I kept contemplating building her a chicken tractor (a movable coop), but I'm not that experienced at carpentry. I was also feeling overwhelmed with the idea of finding the materials (I wanted to try to do it with what we already have) and spending time building the pen in this stinkin' heat! So, I decided trimming her feathers was the answer. Even though I was overcome with emotion at the time, I'm fine now and so is she. And I no longer feel stressed out about her bothering the neighbors.

I scanned some of the feathers I took from Velma and they really do make a nice picture, so I wanted to share it with you:

Don't you think feathers are amazing? The way they look, the many colors they come in and the incredible things they can do. I mean, they help birds fly - that is pretty awesome!

4 comments:

rachel whetzel said...

LOVE the feathers!! Wing clipping is like cutting a baby's fingernails... WAY more stressful on the mommy. lol

Laura P said...

Thanks, Rachel! Yes, I believe it was much more stressful for me. I think I'll do much better clipping her wings, next time.

This mom thing just gets more and more complicated. Whether it's the kids or the animals, there always seems to be something to worry about. I have a feeling it will always be this way. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that you have chickens now. We'll have someone to seek advice from when we decide to get some...maybe next year.

And if you ever need cheap chicken coop materials, I suggest checking out Habitat Restore first. It's like a hardware garage sale.
Kerri H.

Laura P said...

Hey Kerri! I'll talk chickens with you any time! :)

I've been to the habitat store a couple of times, but sometimes I forget about it. Thanks for the reminder. You know how much I LOVE garage sales! However, you may not know I love hardware too. What a wonderful combination.