Monday, June 25, 2012

25 Things You May Not Know About Me

About 4 years ago, when I opened my Facebook account, there was a little survey going around. You were supposed to write down 25 things that people might not know about you. I suppose it was a way for people to try to connect and get to know each other in an otherwise impersonal venue.


Today I was thinking about my blogs - this one and the Honey Creek Farm blog. They are so safe and really only reflect tiny snippets of who I am (the happy side). Which is ok because I don't really want to gut spill all over the internet. That's what my personal journal is for, even though I don't keep up on it either. 


I decided to write another list of 25 things that people who read my blog may not know about me. Some of these are repeats from the Facebook post from four years ago. Frankly, I'm not that interesting and it takes a lot of work to come up with 25 more facts that you may not know about me.


1. I'm 49 and am in total denial about my age. In about a year, I will be 50, but I still see myself as being in my twenties. BTW, the bathroom mirror is a constant reminder that I'm living a fantasy.

2. I continue to be far too worried about what others think of me. Not as much as I did in junior high, but enough for it to still be annoying.


3. I am an Evangelical Christian and I believe that true healing can only come from Jesus Christ. I know it because of things that have happened in my own life.

4. I secretly wanted to be a rockstar until I was about 40. That's when I realized that I needed to have some sort of talent to make the "big time". Even though talent, or the lack there of, has not gotten in the way of some who became famous.

5. I hate conflict, especially in my interpersonal relationships and would do almost anything to avoid it. One exception is my kids; fighting with them doesn't scare me, but it does exhaust me sometimes.


6. Dated my husband 7 years before marrying him.

7. I'm a "late bloomer". I married at 37, had first baby at 39 and second at 42 and became a new farmer at age 48.

8. I used to be a drama junkie and that is why (until I started dating my husband) I mostly pursued men who really didn't like me very well.

9. The first concert I ever went to was Andy Gibb. I used to pray regularly that he would marry me. I was 15 at the time.

10. I do almost anything I can to avoid doing dishes. When I was single, I often wouldn't do dishes until all my dishes were dirty and I needed clean ones to eat from. My husband hasn't been so tolerant of my dishes routine, so I have to do them a little more often than I used to. It's worked out ok.

11. Sometimes I think of my kids as "the enemy", which doesn't create a very harmonious environment.

12. Once when I was six, I stapled my finger just to know what it feels like. It hurts.

13. Lost my great grandma, mom and grandma (in that order) within a year and a half of each other. I still consider that the saddest time of my life.

14. I'm really lonely for girlfriends.

15. I believe chocolate and ice cream are "healing foods". (however, you would think that by the amount I consume of those two things, i would be the most healed person-EVER)

16. Hate pigeons with a burning passion!

17. I'm embarrassed by the continued decline of my short term memory!

18. When I was in college, I often had frozen Snickers and Coke for breakfast.


19. I believe there is no such thing as too much alone time or too much quiet. (too bad for me that I don't ever get a chance to test this theory)

20. I love using power tools - they make me feel like I can do anything.

21. I love to write, but I'm embarrassed by my lack of skills in the grammar and spelling departments.


22. My favorite trip I ever took was to Kona, Hawaii 6 months after my hubby and I were married. I snorkeled for the first time and believe the beauty I saw was life changing.

23. When I was 8, my mom used to drive me to dance class on her motorcycle, (Honda 350 Bay-beee)

24. I love to do art more than almost any other thing on this earth. Since we moved to the farm, I don't get a lot of opportunity to do art. I MISS IT!

25. When I was younger, I spent most of my time daydreaming about what I wanted my life to be. Now, I do more of my life. I like the "doing" part but I wish I had more time to daydream. It wasn't very productive, but it was fun and I liked it.



So, there you have it. What are some things you'd like for people to know about you?


3 comments:

Robin said...

love your list...it made me laugh alot...!

Laura Pugh said...

Thanks, Robin! As you can tell, my blog is incredibly neglected! Thanks for taking time to read my list.

Elizabeth said...

Stumbled on your blog when I was looking for birdhouses... I love your list of 25. There was a lot of ah-hassss!
I'm 71 and still think of myself in my early 30's. I believe that's why I stay so young although my body tells me differently.
I hope it's alright, I'd like to use your birdhouse photo on my Facebook fan/business page this spring. Please stop by... www.facebook.com/cabbagerosescottage